to the Erie Canal Village...A Step Into History
Canal Village is an outdoor living history museum. It is
a reconstructed 19th century settlement on the site where,
on July 4, 1817, the first shovelful of earth was turned
for the construction of the original Erie Canal.
The village is home to three museums: The Erie Canal Museum,
which unfolds the story of the Erie Canal from the first
proposals for an improved route to the West through the
emergence of the Barge Canal System in 1918; The Harden
museum which exhibits a collection of horse drawn vehicles
that range from utilitarian farm equipment to an elegant
Laundaulet. In order to present a clearer view of 19th century
travel, vehicles are placed on samples of three types of
roads: dirt, plank and cobblestone; and third, The New York
State Museum of Cheese building, which once housed the Merry
and Weeks cheese factory in nearby Verona, NY. This building
explores the history of cheese making and its relationship
to the importance of the Erie Canal in New York State during
the 19th century.
In addition to the
museums, other typical structures found during the 19th
century can be viewed such as Bennett's Tavern, Blacksmith
Shop, Railroad Station, Ice House, Wood Creek School, Maynard
Methodist Church, Shull Victorian House, Settler's House,
Crosby House and Canal Store.
Also, a 15 minute orientation video explains
the history of the building of the Erie Canal.
Aerial View of the Village